Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Chevron Pillow Cover

I finally finished my latest project!


 










I'm happy with how it came out. I looked around at a lot of different pattern instructions, and came up with this pattern based on what worked and didn't work for me from those other patterns. Here's how I did it:

Supplies:

  • 1 skein Red Heart Super Saver Jumbo, Heather Gray
  • 1 skein Red Heart Super Saver Jumbo, White
  • 1 skein Red Heart Super Saver Jumbo, Petal Pink
  • G/6 Hook (4.25 mm)
  • Yarn needle (for weaving in ends)
  • 3 buttons (I used 3/4 inch wood buttons, but you can use whatever you like)
  • thread
  • thread needle (to sew on buttons)

(You can use whatever color combination you like. I didn't use the whole skein in any color, so you will have plenty left over to make a second pillow cover)

This pattern gave me a pillow to cover an 18" x 18" pillow. **NOTE: I find that I tend to crochet kind of loose- I seem to almost always have an item come out larger than the original pattern indicates. So, you may need to use an H hook to get the same gauge that I got with a G hook.**

Abbreviations: this pattern uses US terms!
ch= chain
st= stitch
sp= space
yo= yarn over
HDC= half-double crochet
HDCv= this creates the V shape of the chevron pattern: yo, insert hook and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops, yo, skip 1 st, insert hook in next st and draw up a loop, yo, draw through 2 loops on hook, yo, draw through all 3 loops on hook (see image below- images are ordered top row left to right, then bottom row left to right)


Ch 77

Row 1: HDC in 3rd ch from hook (ch 2 space counts as first HDC here and throughout), HDC in next 6 ch, HDCv (see instructions above), HDC in next 8 ch, *ch 2, HD in next 8 ch, HDCv, HDC in next 8 ch. Repeat from * 3 times (creates 4 V's). Ch 2, turn

Row 2-72:  Sk first st, HDC in next st, 2HDC in next st, HDC in next 4 st, HDCv, *HDC in next 6 st, (2HDC, ch 2, 2HDC) in ch 2 sp, HDC in next 6 HDC, HDCv. Repeat from * 3 times, HDC in next 4 HDC, 2 HDC in each of last 2 st.

The piece should measure about 37" with 72 rows. Since I was using 3 colors, I made 2 rows per color, giving me 36 stripes. You can change colors whenever you want depending on how many colors you use and how wide you want each color stripe to be. When you want to change colors, simply do not finish the last HDC. Instead, for the last HDC in the row you will yo, insert hook in the st, and draw up a loop. Using the new color, yo and draw through the 3 loops on the hook with the new color. Cut the yarn from your previous color, and continue the pattern with the new color until you are ready to change colors again.

Once you have all your rows done, weave in all your ends.

TO CREATE THE PILLOW COVER:
This is based on an envelope-style pillow cover. True envelope-style covers don't need traditionally need buttons, but a) I like the way the buttons look and b) I didn't completely stitch the top flap down so that it would be easier to insert and remove the pillow. Here's how I did it:

Lay the piece on a flat surface, and fold the button end up approximately 9". Use a whip stitch to sew each of the 2 sides together. Next, take the top end and fold is down approximately 11". Use a whip stitch to sew the 2 sides together for the first 9" or so (basically until you reach the stitching for the bottom pocket).

I sewed the buttons on each of the 3 center V's. The ch 2 space on the top flap makes for a perfect button hole!

You will notice that this leaves the actual pillow cover to be only 17" for an 18" pillow. That's fine! The yarn has some stretch to it, so you will still get a good fit around the pillow.

And that's it! If you would like to buy the pillow cover from me, you can do so here: Chevron Pillow Cover

Please don't publish and/or sell these directions as your own. If you would like to sell the finished product, at least show some love and give credit where credit is due :)

Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment